Eagleton Mine Camp Trail: Exploring the Eastern Half of the EMCT
From the mid 1840s to around 1870 there existed a mining town by the name of Eagleton. Eagleton was situated on top of the Allegheny Plateau where the mining for coal and iron ore was done. The town was connected to the towns located along the West Branch of the Susquehanna by a railroad that traversed seven switchbacks until it reached the top. A portion of this old railroad grade along with many more additional miles of trails are what make up the Eagleton Mine Camp Trail. On June 10, 2006 DCNR celebrated the grand opening of the Eagleton Mine Camp Trail. The trail is an approximate 20-mile loop, with a number of smaller loops available by using a variety of cross connecting trails. This is a multi-use trail that can be used for biking, horse back riding, and of course hiking.